Welcome

Welcome to my foray into the blogging world. I don't promise to be your source for political and social commentary, but I will always endeavour to be entertaining, charming and witty (and by witty, you may also want to read that as sarcastic . . . I sometimes mix the two up).

You will see a mix of poems and/or song lyrics, my skewed little musings on life, the odd rant or two, and hopefully I can pass along some inspirational pieces – either from my own personal experiences or from those who inspire me.

I will try not to work Bruce Springsteen into everything I write, though it will be difficult as he does impact a large part of my waking world as well as a good portion of my dream world.

Enjoy. Be kind. Come back often and visit.

Monday 29 February 2016

365 Questions . . . boy, am I behind!



My apologies for the lateness in posting my answers over the past three weeks. It's been a time of cocooning for me and I haven't been in a reflecting mood. I promise to be more faithful as I JUST KNOW how eagerly everyone awaits my answers each week.

WEEK 7

45. What has grief taught you about living?
I wrote an essay on this topic for my friend Kristin’s Gifts in Grief project. Rather than repeat the entire thing here, you can read it here.

46. Name a time when you didn’t speak up – and should have.
There are tons of examples from my past, with most of them occurring in past relationships. There were plenty of times I should have said something about the way I was being treated or certain behaviours I put up with without saying anything. I don’t think I did the best job of being my authentic self in earlier relationships, and if I had, I probably could have saved myself a ton of grief.

47. If you could have one super power, what would it be?
A friend of mine jokes that his super power is common sense, and that he could pretty much rule the world with it. I think at this stage of my life, I’d love to have an eidetic memory so I could retain everything I read or hear. Not sure if that’s a super power or not, but it would be cool.

48. If you lost all of your senses except one, which would you keep?
Hmmm. Tough to choose between sight and hearing. I would miss listening to music but the world is such a visual place I think I would want to keep my sight. And since I’ve been dealing with an eye condition for the past three years, I have been thinking about vision loss quite a bit.

49. What are you most grateful for?
I am grateful for the wonderful tribe of people in my life. I am surrounded by good friends who lift me up on a daily basis.

50. What does your ideal self look like?
My ideal self is happy. Eyes glowing, big smile, healthy body and thinking positive thoughts.

51. If your life was a TV show, what would your theme song be and why?
The first song to pop into my mind is “Happy Talk.” It’s just a simple happy little song to sing and speaks to having dreams.

WEEK 8

52. You have an hour left to live, what will you do?
In a perfect world I’m at the cottage and can go out to the sundeck and just take in the beauty of the lake. Hopefully, I would also be with someone I love and could sit there quietly with them or maybe we’d make love.

53. What are you holding on to that you need to let go of?
I need to let go of my fear of doing things wrong. It absolutely cripples me. I’m a horrible decision maker because I don’t want to do the wrong thing or make the wrong choice. It’s an ancient wound and I’m working on it, but I still have some work to do.

54. What would you do if you could not fail?
The funny answer that pops into my mind is, get married. But I also think I would love to be a piano player in a jazz group.

55. How old are you, inside?

I think I’m 40. That’s a good age: A little bit wise but still room for some immaturity.

56. If you could offer a newborn one piece of advice, what would it be?
Be yourself and don’t worry about what others will think of you.

57. Would you give up your life to save a loved one?
I would like to think I’d be that unselfish but that’s hard to know. It would likely be a decision I’d make in the moment.

58. What would you do differently if no one judged you?
I try not to live my life based on other people’s judgment . . . and this gets easier as you age. I might have dated some women earlier in my life. Growing up under the shadow of very Catholic parents, I think I repressed that side of me.

WEEK 9
59. Is there such thing as a soul mate or true love?
I definitely believe in soul mates and that you can have several throughout your life time. For example, my sister is a soul mate. We always joke that we were married in another life. There are just certain people who you meet and have an instant connection with – these are soul mates.

60. What’s been your biggest heartbreak?
I’m a big crier . . . just means I care very much . . . at least that’s what it said on a meme I read recently. I have shed many tears after certain relationships have ended but I think when my mother passed away I experienced my first real heartbreak. That was the first major loss in my life.

61. Most defining moment in your life (good or bad)?
Such a tough question. I think when I made the decision to move to Barrie was the most defining moment in my life. I was moving away from my hometown, leaving my parent’s house and starting a new job. I remember hearing Tom Petty’s “Free Falling” as I drove through Algonquin Park and thought to myself, “what a perfect song for this new chapter in my life.”

62. If you were a colour, what colour would you be and why?
I think I would be brown. For no particular reason other than I like the colour and I think it's a very useful and practical colour.


63. Where do you draw your energy from?
I draw my energy from positive and like-minded people. They keep me grounded and energize me at the same time. However, being an introvert, I also need my space and alone time to get re-energized and recharged.

64. On your most challenging day, what gets you out of bed?
On some really challenging days, there’s nothing that can get me out of bed . . . or at the very least I’m only able to make it to the couch. But, it’s usually my strong sense of loyalty and commitment to others that gets me out of bed. I don’t like to disappoint people and do my best to be there for them – because I know they would do the same for me.

65. When have you felt most alive?
In the pit at a Bruce Springsteen concert. It’s my happy-to-be-alive place.

No comments:

Post a Comment