Welcome

Welcome to my foray into the blogging world. I don't promise to be your source for political and social commentary, but I will always endeavour to be entertaining, charming and witty (and by witty, you may also want to read that as sarcastic . . . I sometimes mix the two up).

You will see a mix of poems and/or song lyrics, my skewed little musings on life, the odd rant or two, and hopefully I can pass along some inspirational pieces – either from my own personal experiences or from those who inspire me.

I will try not to work Bruce Springsteen into everything I write, though it will be difficult as he does impact a large part of my waking world as well as a good portion of my dream world.

Enjoy. Be kind. Come back often and visit.

Tuesday 7 April 2015

Shopping for love

I've decided to dip a cyber toe into the online dating world. It's only been a week but I'm already exhausted by the process.

First you have to create a profile. If you're not accustomed to waxing poetic about yourself, this can be a daunting task. What to include. What not to include. You want to be as honest as you can without sounding pretentious, needy, high-maintenance or even worse, boring.

Next is the all-consuming challenge of finding a profile picture. I swear, it's almost as bad as trying on bathing  suits. Few seem to be a perfect fit. Again, it can be a tenuous, fine line between sexy, skanky, or even worse, boring. 

Not that I could ever be accused of any of those adjectives. Well, maybe there was a skanky period back in my 20s . . . but I've never claimed to be what one would term a "girly-girl." I is what I is.

I like hats. I prefer pants. I keep  my hair short and I rarely (if ever) wear make-up. I prefer people to see me as I am – no surprises. What you get in the evening will be the same in the morning. The hair will likely be a bit less than perfectly coiffed, but other than that . . . who am I kidding? The hair is never perfectly coiffed!

So, here I am – shopping for love. It seems a  bit unnatural, especially since I dislike shopping and do not profess to be very skilled at it. Many of my gender love shopping, but it's not my favouruite pastime. Plus, I usually only go shopping when I really need something, so I can tend to be impulsive.

My sister, she loves to shop. She visits clothing in the malls, biding her time until a favourite sweater or blouse goes on sale. It's a game to her. Not me. I need running shoes stat, so I usually end up paying more than I should for them. I  need it. I want it. I'm buying it.

You can see how this may pose problems in the online dating world. 

So, I spend an hour every day or so, perusing through profiles, in the hopes of finding a profile or photo that's appealing. And, hoping that someone on the other side of a laptop finds my photo and profile appealing.

I'm lucky in that I have a great life – including a fun, interesting and varied social life. I don't really want to be spending my evenings (nor do I have a lot of spare time) bleary-eyed in front of a computer screen. But, it would be wonderful to meet someone with whom I would connect on a spiritual, intellectual and intimate level. I think everyone wants that in their life.

I should also add that connection for me is gender-neutral. I'm more about the person than whether they pee standing up or not.

So, I have included my profile below. I'm open to feedback, online dating advice, and even set-ups if you think you know someone in your circle who would be a good match for me.

Please read my profile. For those who know me fairly well, let me know if I've captured myself appropriately, I would hate to misrepresent who I am or even worse, come across as boring :)

PROFILE
I'm passionate about music and am an amateur singer/ songwriter in my spare time. I love live music, and if you're a Bruce Springsteen fan, you're golden in my books. I'm a bit culinary-challenged but if you love to cook, I'm an excellent sous chef. I love words and appreciate a witty sense of humour and a well-turned phrase. I'm an avid reader and enjoy writing.

I'm more spiritual than religious and definitely not Conservative in my politics. If Stephen Harper is your favourite politician, we likely will not see eye-to-eye on many issues. I love helping people and believe in giving back to my community.

My perfect day would involve sleeping in (waking up at my cottage), followed by reading, writing and maybe some meditation. An hour at the gym or on the golf course would be ideal but a walk or hike would be just as enjoyable. Capping the evening with a great meal out and live music would be perfect.

If your circle of friends are a reflection of who you are then I must be pretty fantastic. I am surrounded by a kind-hearted, warm, supportive and loving community of people I am proud to call my tribe! Some, I am proud to say have been with me since grade school. So, I guess you could add loyal and true to the list of my best qualities. I'm a pretty happy person with a positive outlook on life. I have a great circle of friends so my social life isn't lacking but I'd love to meet someone with similar interests to further enhance my life. And hopefully, I would enhance yours.

I like to travel but am more of a jump-in-the-car-road-trip kind of person than lie-on-the-beach-on-an-island kind of person. I love New York and would like to visit San Francisco, New Orleans, Vancouver, Africa and Nashville someday. I'd also like to go back to Ireland, and walk the Camino Trail. I should also disclose that I am lifelong Habs fan in the event that creates any issues for you :) 

I'm looking for someone who is kind, trustworthy, funny, financially stable, a good communicator and listener. You don't have to be fit and toned but I would prefer someone who lives a healthy lifestyle.


No comments:

Post a Comment