Welcome

Welcome to my foray into the blogging world. I don't promise to be your source for political and social commentary, but I will always endeavour to be entertaining, charming and witty (and by witty, you may also want to read that as sarcastic . . . I sometimes mix the two up).

You will see a mix of poems and/or song lyrics, my skewed little musings on life, the odd rant or two, and hopefully I can pass along some inspirational pieces – either from my own personal experiences or from those who inspire me.

I will try not to work Bruce Springsteen into everything I write, though it will be difficult as he does impact a large part of my waking world as well as a good portion of my dream world.

Enjoy. Be kind. Come back often and visit.

Sunday 5 June 2016

365 Questions: No, I am not a morning person



WEEK 21
143.        What makes you nostalgic and why?
Certain songs make me nostalgic because they remind me of a certain time in my life. The Irish Rovers or hearing Danny Boy will always remind me of my dad. Springsteen’s “Cadillac Ranch” always reminds me of my grade 13 year as it was one of our main party songs.

144.        Are you a morning or a night person?
I’m definitely a night person though I am going to bed a bit earlier these days. And, I can get up early for certain events (trips, golf) but it’s not my happy time.

145.        What kind of lifestyle makes you jealous?
I have to confess that I am a bit envious of those who just seem to have an easy time with relationships. My friend Kristin has decided there are two groups of people in life: those who move through life with ease in relationships and those who struggle. I’m in the latter category but I’m hoping that will change in the near future. I’m always hopeful.

146.        How would you describe the raw, unedited version of yourself?
Sensitive. Sexual. Tactile and affectionate. Quiet. Sweaty. Tired. Compassionate. A bit indecisive but moving in the right direction.

147.        How would you describe the sunset to someone who can’t see?
I honestly don’t know how to answer this question so would probably not be the best person to describe a sunset to my vision challenged friend. I might find a really beautiful piece of music with a lot of different parts and sounds and tell them a sunset is basically visually comparable to that piece of music. 

148.        Why are the things that are so bad for you, so good?
Good is relative. Everything in moderation is okay. But we all need to be a little bad sometime too.

149.        What do you know now that you wish you knew five years ago?
Your chance for love does not begin and end with one person.

WEEK 22
150.        What are you pretending not to know?
The balance on my credit cards.

151.        If you were a word, what word would you be and why?
I think I would be touch, because I’m very tactile and I like to touch people – whether it’s a hug or rubbing their back. It’s one way I express love for people.

152.        Why don’t you do the things you know you should be doing?
Sometimes it’s just too overwhelming. For the most part, I think I’m doing everything I should be doing but some tasks or activities just take a bit more energy.

153.        What can you do today that you couldn’t do this time last year?
I have learned a number of new skills at work. Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks? I have learned so much from Jaye, the graphic designer I work with and I am more confident in my skills. 

154.        What’s been the greatest adventure of your life?
Following Bruce around has been a pretty fun adventure. I joke that I have seen the arenas and concert halls of many great cities. I have met some very nice people along the way and been able to spend some great quality time with friends.

155.        When you think of ‘home,’ what comes to mind?
Home will always be Barry’s Bay. It’s where I grew up and still home to my favourite place on earth – my cottage.

156.        Do you give your loved ones the attention they deserve?
Definitely.

WEEK 23
157.        Do you believe in past lives?
Yes. In fact, my sister and I often joke that we were married in a past life. You meet certain people that you have such an instant connection with, you have to have known them before.

158.        What legacy do you want to leave?
I don’t have any grand ambitions, but I want people to feel like they were truly loved by me and treated with kindness.

159.        What is your personal blind spot?
My indecision or not trusting my gut instinct enough.

160.        Do you believe in magic?
I don’t believe in the David Copperfield kind of magic but I certainly believe there are magical moments in life as well as miracles.

161.        What does the committee in your head usually argue about?
What’s the “right” thing to do? If we do or say this, what will happen? If we do or say this other thing, what will happen then? Am I doing or saying the right thing?

162.        How is life asking you to grow right now?
Life is always challenging me to grow when it comes to relationships, and since I’ve been doing the dating thing for the past year, I feel this is where I’m being asked to grow the most right now. I’m learning how to be vulnerable and yet safe; how to develop trust and still be authentic. I’m learning how to set healthy boundaries and still be able to compromise for a partner. I'm learning when to let go and not to take things personally.

163.        In what ways could you be kinder to yourself?
In relationships, it’s not always about me . . . sometimes it’s about the other person and what they are going through. I need to remember that people are going through their own shit and stuff happens (or doesn’t happen) because of that . . . not because of something I’ve done or said.



1 comment: